Volunteering with animals
STOP PRESS! – as a special thank you to our ever increasing VBB membership, registration as a VetMatch volunteer is now FREE for financial members!
The VetMatch Program was launched by Vets Beyond Borders in 2015, providing experienced volunteer veterinarians, veterinary nurses and other support staff to animal welfare projects in desperate need of help to perform their wonderful, but all too often challenging, work.
VetMatch entails two evaluation processes:
- Volunteer registration: to ensure that VetMatch veterinary volunteers possess the qualities and skills required to work in unfamiliar settings, typically lacking the range of facilities and equipment to which they are likely accustomed.
- Animal welfare organisation registration: creating an extensive list of projects with which our volunteers can be “VetMatched” with high confidence that their placement will be a richly rewarding experience.
Prospective VetMatch volunteers complete a confidential registration process which allow us to ascertain their suitability and strengths and to suggest which locations and projects they may most effectively assist.
The list of VetMatch registered organisations, all of which have undergone rigorous, confidential appraisal in terms of facilities, clinical protocols, ability to host volunteers and volunteer safety, is constantly increasing, providing volunteering options worldwide.
The performance of VetMatch volunteers and the experience provided by VetMatch registered organisations are continually reviewed by VBB.
INTERESTED? – view CURRENTLY AVAILABLE VETMATCH PLACEMENTS
Volunteer with animals Today
- Veterinarians with least two or more years' relevant clinical experience post-graduation.
- Vet nurses with two or more years' experience and competency in anaesthetic monitoring and surgical support.
- New graduates and vet students (in their penultimate or final years) may apply to work in supporting roles.
- Opportunities occasionally arise for non-veterinary volunteers.
- VetMatch volunteers must be current VBB members.
- VetMatch volunteers may apply for deployment on as many projects as they wish.